Health Insurance Marketplace The Basics
What is the Health Insurance Marketplace?
The new Health Insurance Marketplace is a place where Virginians can shop for and compare health plans. Here are just a few of the advantages of shopping for your health insurance through the marketplace:
- Compare health plans side-by side
- Browse health plan prices and benefits before applying
- See if you qualify for a new federal cost-saving program, based on income, to reduce the cost of premiums, copays and deductibles
- Select from quality health plans offered by trusted insurance companies
- Narrow your options based on your health needs and priorities
Who can buy health insurance through the Health Insurance Marketplace in Virginia?
Virginians who do not have access to affordable health insurance through their employer or another government program will be eligible to purchase health coverage from the new Health Insurance Marketplace.
What if I have an illness or pre-existing condition?
Starting in 2014, health insurance companies cannot discriminate by charging more or denying coverage to people with pre-existing conditions. This applies to coverage purchased both through the Marketplace and outside the Marketplace.